- How does this work?
- Can I donate outside the structure of the Tiers?
- Who gets to premiere the works?
- Why are the releases of new works staggered?
- Do I get to choose the composer(s) I want to commission? (Tiers 7 - 9)
- What types of choirs will the works be written for?
- If I miss the campaign, when will I be able to purchase the created works?
- Where can I see perusal scores?
- When/how will I view/receive the work(s)?
- My choir is more than 30 people. How do I purchase additional copies my selected pieces?
- What if I want to purchase more pieces than I am allotted as part of the fundraising campaign?
- What if I want access to the New Works Video Library and/or Sonic Timelapse Creativity Workshop but it’s not included in my Tier?
How does this work?
- Participants in Tiers 2 and up will have exclusive access to purchase and perform (digitally/live) a number of the new commissions (based on their Tier) during the Exclusivity Period (up until June 1, 2021).
Can I donate outside the structure of the Tiers?
- We have a donation page for this! Please click here.
Who gets to premiere the works?
- Given the intent of this project to collectively create new works, there is no requirement or restriction for specific choirs to premiere these works.
Why the releases of new works staggered?
- Several reasons!
- Our intent is to create a “timelapse” of creative effort, starting with the conductors who submitted a Creative Reflection in the summer of 2020. Throughout the year, conductors and choirs will have the option of submitting further Creative Reflections, which will go into the pool of materials that composers will have to work with. This way, we can generate creativity and new art by tapping into how individuals are feeling in a given moment over time - a musical timelapse capturing our choral community's reaction to choir in the time of pandemic.
- This plan presented greater deadline flexibility for the Sonic Timelapse Composers.
- Choirs this year are generally focusing on smaller performance goals and will be pursuing fewer pieces in each session of their season, so Sonic Timelapse will be able to provide fresh material and engage with the community for a longer period of time.
Do I get to choose the composer(s) I want to commission? (Tiers 7 - 9)
- Creative freedom is a priority for us, and we are very open to conversations about which Sonic Timelapse Composer you would like to commission/co-commission.
- The option to choose the composer will primarily be dependent on whether or not someone else has already selected the same composer, and the commissioning relationship will not be the same as if you were to commission a composer directly, as Sonic Timelapse will be involved in all the commissions, but again, we are open to discuss with funders, particularly in the Choral Hero Tier, which naturally offers the most flexibility.
- Partnering with Sonic Timelapse here could be especially beneficial for choirs new to commissioning, as we will handle the process!
What types of choirs will the works be written for?
- The new works will be written for a variety of voice-types, with limited divisi, recognizing that many choirs will be rehearsing virtually.
- We are aiming for enough representation of each voice type that the collection of new works will offer a satisfying selection for choirs of:
- Upper voices
- Lower voices
- Mixed voices
- There will also be a few pieces in our selection for “flexible voicing” that can be performed by upper voices OR lower voices, with options for unison singing OR singing in parts
- Please see our Timeline page for a listing of the completed and anticipated voicing(s) for which each composer has chosen to write.
If I miss the campaign, when will I be able to purchase the created works?
- The Sonic Timelapse Community (STC) will have exclusive rights to the Sonic Timelapse commissions until June 1, 2021, at which point they will become available for public purchase through the individual commissioned composers (purchase information will be made available on our website).
Where can I see perusal scores?
When/how will I view/receive the work(s)?
- Perusal copies of the works will be posted in the password-protected Portal by the 1st of each month (see Timeline). Sonic Timelapse Community Members in Tiers 2 and up will be able to view them right away and redeem/purchase their works at any time during the Exclusivity Period (until June 1, 2021) by completing the "redeem a score" form on the Portal or emailing email@example.com.
My choir is more than 30 people. How do I purchase additional copies my selected pieces?
- Sonic Timelapse Community Members in Tiers 4 and up can purchase more copies of one of your selected pieces at a rate of $1.50 per copy as an Add-On.
What if I want to purchase more pieces than I am allotted as part of the fundraising campaign?
- You can! Sonic Timelapse project funders in Tiers 2 and up will have exclusive access to purchase additional works at a discounted rate of $2.50 per copy, with a minimum order of 30 copies.
What if I want access to the New Works Video Library and/or Sonic Timelapse Creativity Workshop but it’s not included in my Tier?
- For an additional $150, you can purchase the Sonic Timelapse Creativity Workshop and the New Works Video Library as an Add-On.